Looking for a new way to use that zucchini or the basil you picked up at your favorite farmer’s market? Try this super simple zucchini basil soup recipe. It’s the perfect dish to serve chilled on a hot summers day or warm when you need that little bit of comfort in the afternoon.
It can be tough to remain health-centered, but this recipe uses ingredients that make it easy and delicious. Zucchini is a nutritional powerhouse that not only enhances one’s overall physical well-being but also aids in weight-loss and boosts heart health. Basil adds a natural element with its raw flavor and helps relieve stress along with having anti-aging properties. With only 8 simple ingredients this soup can be made in 30 minutes or less so let’s get started!
- Zucchini - 1lb
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Chicken or vegetable broth - 2 cups
- Garlic cloves - 2
- Basil - 1/3 cups
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add zucchini, salt, and pepper, and cook until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add basil leaves. Let wilt a few minutes.
- Transfer soup to a large blender or food processor. If using a blender, you may need to work in batches. Also, be sure to cover the top of the blender with a tea towel to avoid any hot liquid splashing out. Blend until smooth.
- Return to pot and add cream and season to taste. Serve hot or cold, it’s great both ways!
- Add protein of choice such as shrimp, salmon, or chicken.